Grandfather of Missing 20-Month-Old Killed in Hit-and-Run

Weeks after a 20-month-old boy went missing in Georgia, his grandfather was killed in a car accident.

Henry Dale Moss Sr. died Wednesday morning after being hit by a car, Capt. Jimmy Wildes of the Burke County Sheriff’s Office confirms to PEOPLE.

Also Read :  4 airport workers fall ill at LAX from apparent gas leak

The Georgia State Patrol, which is investigating the case, also confirms with PEOPLE that the victim “suffered multiple injuries” and his family has been notified.

Moss’ body was found on the side of Highway 23 in Burke County at 7:20 a.m. local time Wednesday, Wilds told NBC News.

Also Read :  Supreme Court Justice Alito denies NYT report that he leaked Hobby Lobby opinion

“Preliminary investigations indicate that the male person was hit by an unknown vehicle while on the road,” he added.

Quinton Simon.
Chatham County Police Department

Authorities said Dale, affectionately known as “Bubba,” suffered an attack sometime after 5:30 a.m., WRDW reported.

According to Fox3 Now, he is believed to have been hit while driving home after his car got a flat tire.

The incident comes as authorities and loved ones search for Moss’ grandson Quinton Simon, who has been missing since last month.

Moss’ niece, Kaylyn Clifton, mourned both tragedies on Facebook.

“To say my family has been through that in the last month would be an understatement,” she began. “So much heartache and sadness.”

She continued, “So, let me start by saying please pray for Bubba and Nicole. Losing baby Quinton, their mom (Brandi) and now their dad (Uncle Henry) within a month is a lot for one person to handle. I They were never allowed to do it alone.

“Uncle was hit by a car this morning. That person didn’t stop.”

Quinton Simon.
Chatham County Police Department

She hailed Moss as “one of a kind,” recalling “how she and my daddy were two peas in a pod.”

She opened up about the last time she saw her uncle alive, saying, “Uncle Henry has been there for me all my life, and on Saturday he kissed my head, hugged me, and asked me about the baby. I was with him + family in Mexico. Went to eat. I’m glad I did.”

On October 5, Quinton disappeared from a playground in his Savannah, Georgia home. Quinton was reported missing at 6 a.m. that morning and his parents reported him missing.

Four weeks have passed and the Chatham County Police Department and others have been digging through “thousands of tons of trash” at a landfill, where authorities said in a statement Wednesday that he may not be found.

RELATED VIDEO: Missing Quinton Simon’s body may not be found in ‘brutal’ trash search, police say

“We knew going into this landfill search, the likelihood of finding Quinton’s remains was low,” the department wrote on Facebook and Twitter. “Many landfill searches do not end in recovery, due to many factors including the volume of trash to search and compaction of the debris, however, we remain vigilant.”

Police added that the boy’s mother, 22-year-old Leilani Simon, remains the prime suspect, and that “everything still points to” his body being recovered from the dump. No charges have been filed against Leilani.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Register for public’Free True Crime Newsletter For breaking crime news, coverage of ongoing trials and details on intriguing unsolved cases.

In an Oct. 25 interview with local station WTOC-TV, Simon said he wanted his son back “happy and alive.”

“We want him to hold us and bring him back into our arms. That’s what we want,” she added.

“We hope he’s at someone’s house. They’re feeding him. Maybe they want a baby or they can’t have a baby,” she told the station. “Maybe they think they’re his savior. That’s our best hope at this point.”


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Related Articles

Back to top button